28 August 2005

Bumpy Ride: Katrina and the Waves


The song goes something like this:

Do you know what it means to miss new orleans
And miss it each night and day
I know I’m not wrong... this feeling’s gettin’ stronger
The longer, I stay away


About 3 million people are missing home as they have been evacuated. Nearly 500,000 in NO proper. New Orleans, as we all know by now, sits below sea level.

If that first image didn't do anything for you then think storm surge and take a look at this image followed by this. The latter states that Category 4 storm surges can produce 13 to 18 foot surges. Katrina is a Category 5, I believe.

Yikes!

(BTW, the song above is Louis Armstrong not Katrina and the Waves)

1 comment:

Jayme Jacobson said...

I just stumbled across this site in Google. That first graphic is a nice piece of visual information. The other two are as well but I was surprised that the 3D version was so much more effective than the 2D schematic. That doesn't always happen.